Error message

Deprecated function: implode() [function.implode]: Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/medbac.dk/public_html/includes/common.inc).

Safety and Efficacy of Topically Applied Selected Cutibacterium acnes Strains over Five Weeks in Patients with Acne Vulgaris: An Open-label, Pilot Study.

TitleSafety and Efficacy of Topically Applied Selected Cutibacterium acnes Strains over Five Weeks in Patients with Acne Vulgaris: An Open-label, Pilot Study.
Publication TypeJournal Article
Year of Publication2019
AuthorsKaroglan, A, Paetzold, B, de Lima, JPereira, Brüggemann, H, Tüting, T, Schanze, D, Güell, M, Gollnick, H
JournalActa Derm Venereol
Volume99
Issue13
Pagination1253-1257
Date Published2019 Dec 01
ISSN1651-2057
KeywordsAcne Vulgaris, Administration, Topical, Adolescent, Benzoyl Peroxide, Female, Humans, Male, Microbiota, Patient Safety, Pilot Projects, Prognosis, Propionibacteriaceae, Propionibacterium acnes, Skin, Time Factors, Transformation, Bacterial, Treatment Outcome, Young Adult
Abstract

Imbalance in skin microflora, particularly related to certain Cutibacterium acnes strains, may trigger acne. Application of non-acne-causing strains to the skin may modulate the skin microbiome and thereby lead to a reduction in acne. This pilot study evaluates the safety and efficacy of microbiome modulation on acne-prone skin. The study had 2 phases: active induction (5% benzoyl peroxide gel, 7 days) and interventional C. acnes strains treatment (5 weeks). Patients were randomized to either topical skin formulations PT1 (2 strains of C. acnes Single Locus Sequence Typing [SLST] type C3 and K8, 50% each) or PT2 (4 strains of C. acnes SLST type C3 [55%], K8 [5%], A5 [30%] and F4 [10%]). Safety and efficacy was evaluated in 14 patients (PT1=8/14, PT2=6/14). Skin microbiome composition shifted towards study formulations. No untoward adverse events, visible irritation, or significant flare-up were observed. Non-inflamed lesions and skin pH were reduced. Comedone counts improved clinically with no deterioration in inflammatory lesions.

DOI10.2340/00015555-3323
Alternate JournalActa Derm Venereol
PubMed ID31573666